Sponsors: City of Williams Lake
Endorsed by the NCLGA and UBCM Memberships
WHEREAS drug and alcohol addictions are known to contribute to a majority of criminal offences and anti-social behavior, particularly in northern and rural communities;
AND WHEREAS the provision of drug and alcohol addiction treatment services and facilities in northern and rural communities is frequently inadequate to address the demand for such services:
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the NCLGA and UBCM lobby the Provincial Government to increase the availability of drug and alcohol treatment services and facilities.
The UBCM membership has endorsed several resolutions related to improving drug and alcohol treatment services and facilities, including requests for:
• increased provincial contributions to alcohol and drug abuse prevention programs (1992-B87);
• federal and provincial funding for the development of a continuum of drug detox and rehabilitation programs throughout the province (2000-B61) ;
• enactment of a full provincial drug strategy (2002-B74) to address the many problems associated with addiction;
• regulation and licensing of supportive recovery residences in the interest of providing better access to treatment for individuals seeking assistance for substance misuse (2006-B7); and
• increased funding for supportive housing (2007-B153).