Funding of Road-Side Rescue Services

Justice and Protective Services


Endorsed by the NCLGA and UBCM Memberships


WHEREAS volunteer organizations in many small communities provide road rescue and vehicle extrication services to motorists both inside and outside of municipal jurisdictions but are required to provide their own specialized training, equipment, and liability insurance;

WHEREAS the majority of road accidents requiring rescue or vehicle extrication services occur outside municipal boundaries but only fees for service are recovered through the Provincial Emergency Program:

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the NCLGA and UBCM lobby the Provincial Government to provide core funding for training, equipment, and insurance for volunteer road rescue and vehicle extrication organizations.

Additional Information

UBCM comments:

The UBCM membership has consistently endorsed resolutions requesting reimbursement for costs associated with responding to motor vehicle accidents (2006-B64; 2005-B4; 2004-B6; 2001-B6; 2001-B8; 2000-B15).

Currently, the Provincial Emergency Program (PEP) reimburses fire departments that respond to police or ambulance calls in the unorganized areas of the province at a rate set by policy. PEP also provides WCB and liability coverage for these calls and reimburses for repair or replacement of lost or damaged equipment. The current policy and reimbursement rates for out of boundary road rescue calls were developed through the deliberations of a road rescue task group.